As time goes on, more and more business owners are attracted to use QuickBooks software to efficiently do their daily accounting tasks. It is undeniable that QuickBooks can revolutionize the manual accounting and bookkeeping processes used by business owners, but it is also important to remember that even cutting-edge software can occasionally make mistakes. QuickBooks Error 6123 0 is one such frequent errors that users experience while attempting to open the company file. This error code 6123 0 is related to numerous other details and facets, which will be covered in more detail in this particular blog post.
Insights into QuickBooks Error 6123 0
Users who attempt to restore the company file from a backup frequently get QuickBooks error number 6123. The actions associated with the company file are disrupted by this error code, which appears suddenly. Opening a company file from the multi-user network could also result in the same issue. The problem might also show up when restoring the backup or when opening the file directly from the network. There is a “Problem connecting to Server,” according to the error message that displays with this error code. The following appears on your screen:
Error: -6123, 0: We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file.
Error 6123, 0: “Connection to the QuickBooks company file has been lost”.
Due to the complexity of this error, we strongly advise users to turn off their antivirus software as well as any additional protection software they may have installed before using the troubleshooting techniques listed below.
Important: Please be aware that the problem with QuickBooks desktop may be caused by your use of McAfee antivirus software. If you are already aware that Intuit does not own McAfee security software, it is advised that you contact McAfee or keep reading this page. If they do not use McAfee, the procedures described in this article may be of some assistance.
Possible Reasons that Could Lead to QuickBooks Error 6123 0
There are numerous potential causes of QuickBooks error code 6123, 0, some of which are listed below:
- One of the causes of error code 6123, 0 could be damaged windows.
- There could be a destroyed company file.
- If you’ve recovered the company file from an external storage space.
- Another factor could be a host server’s network connection being broken.
- The QuickBooks software could be halted while opening the company file by firewall configurations.
- The seamless communication between QuickBooks and the server may be hampered by an antivirus product that is installed on your computer.
- This issue is caused by corrupted or destroyed QuickBooks data files or application files.
- This QuickBooks problem may also be brought on by corrupt Windows user and QBW files.
Different Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0
Well, the error code 6123 0 may appear in multiple scenarios and for that we have different troubleshooting to remove this error. In the below section, we’ll discuss different scenarios where you can experience along with the troubleshooting methods that can applied accordingly.
In the Scenario When Error 6123 is Encountered While Restoring a Backup (.qbb) on a New System
The situation where the problem could appear is when restoring a previously backed-up company file. This section will fix the problem on your computer if you encounter it while restoring the backup.
If you have any specific query, also get in touch with the experts of QuickBooks live chat.
Method 1: Generate a Portable Company File (.qbm) to Restore your Company File
in this circumstance, you are advised to construct a portable company file. The company file must then be restored using it.
The steps involved in using this method are as follows:
- On the same computer that was used to create the backup company file, you must first launch QuickBooks Desktop
- Next, open the Original Company file
- Next, create a portable version of the company file
- On the new system, launch the QuickBooks Desktop
- Replace the backup file with the portable copy to restore the company file.
Method 2: Make use of QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (ADR)
By using the auto data recovery feature, you can restore QuickBooks company file. Check to see if this file still functions by restoring your .adr copy. The likelihood that this error will be fixed using this approach is extremely high.
Step: When you Try to Open or Upgrade your Company File, Error 6123, 0 Occurs.
This error could show up on the screen in a number of different situations. Users who attempt to open their company files through QuickBooks frequently encounter Error 6123. If this describes your situation, use the methods listed below.
Method 3: Make use of QuickBooks Tool Hub Program to Fix this Error
You can also utilize the QuickBooks tool Hub to help you find a solution to this error when opening the company file. This application has a variety of capabilities that can be used to resolve different QuickBooks issue codes.
The following are the steps to set up and use the tool:
Step: Download and Run QuickBooks Tools Hub
The procedure is as follows to download and use the tool:
- First, close your QuickBooks accounting program
- The QuickBooks tools hub file can be downloaded
- Once you’re finished, save the document some place you can readily access it
- In the previous step, open the downloaded file
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software and confirm your acceptance of the terms and conditions
- To open the tool hub, double-click the icon on your Windows desktop.
It’s important to remember that if you can’t find the icon, you should search Windows for QuickBooks Tool hub and then choose the software.
Step: Make Use QuickBooks File Doctor File
The QuickBooks file doctor tool can assist you with automatic problem detection, diagnosis, and correction, particularly when it comes to frequent QuickBooks Desktop data issues. Use the instructions listed below to launch the utility after installation.
- Choose Company file issues from the QuickBooks Tools Hub menu
- Next, click on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool button
- You should pick the Company file from the drop-down list when the File Doctor program first appears
- In the event that you are unable to locate it, select Browse to search the system for the file named [your company name] .qbw
- Click Continue to diagnose the file after selecting the Check your file alone option
- Once you’ve entered the admin password for QuickBooks, click Continue
- When you’re finished, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will start the repairing procedure on its own, which may take some time
- Choose the company file from the list and then click the Open QuickBooks option to complete the process.
One thing to keep in mind is that the error is fixed if the file can be accessed without any problems. However, when you have opened the company file, be careful to make a backup.
Step: Run the Quick Fix my Program from Tool Hub program
The “Quick Fix My Program” tool is one of the Tool Hub’s many useful tools.
The procedures listed below must be followed in order to use this function to fix QuickBooks issue 6123:
- Select the Programs Problems menu item from the Tool Hub
- The Quick Fix my Program tab should be selected and the process could take a minute
- It can take more than a minute to open up if your computer has numerous versions of QuickBooks installed
- You must launch QuickBooks to confirm the problem has been resolved after Quick Fix my Program has finished.
Method 4: Renaming the Company File or Removing any Special Characters from the Name
When a company file name contains a special character or if the file name length exceeds the allowed limit, problems are frequently encountered. Therefore, you must be certain that:
- There should be no more than 30 characters in the company file name
- A special character or space should not be used in the file name.
Method 5: Rename the .ND and .TLG Files
Renaming the Network and Transaction Log files for QuickBooks is an efficient way to fix this mistake if the aforementioned methods involving the usage of the Quick Fix My Program feature and the QuickBooks Tool hub are unsuccessful. These files have the extensions “.ND” and “.TLG,” respectively.
The steps to rename them are as follows:
- Firstly, open the folder containing the company file
- Then pick the corresponding .ND file
- Next, select the Rename option from the context menu of the right-clicked Company file
- After that, change the name of the .ND file to .ND.OLD
- Next, choose the .TLG file and rename it using the same procedure as you did with the Network (.ND) file
- Now, rename it to .TLG.OLD
- Finally, make sure to launch the QuickBooks company file.
Setting the appropriate folder permissions
Sometimes full access must be selected in the folder settings. It relies on the Windows settings and the user login.
Method 6: Restart your System in a Safe Mode
Using Safe Mode while restarting your computer will prevent all third-party programs from interfering with QuickBooks desktop’s smooth operation.
- In safe mode, you can also momentarily disable third-party security applications
- Open QuickBooks and attempt to open your company files in Safe Mode once you have verified both of these processes.
See also: QuickBooks Error 6000
Method 7: Create a New Windows User
Corrupt Windows user logins could be more likely.
In that situation, you can perform the following actions:
- Launch Control Panel and select the Create new user option under the User icon
- Then choose the Administrator user type
- After that, log out of the current session
- After restarting the computer, log in using the new user’s credentials
- Move the company file now to the desktop
- Finally, launch QuickBooks and open the company file.
Method 8: Disabling the System Security Programs
If your computer has an antivirus program installed, you might want to turn it off before reopening QuickBooks and accessing the company file. If you use McAfee security software, that could be the root of the problem. The antivirus software frequently interacts with company files and flags them as malicious. You might be unable to access the company file because of this. In this case, you must first turn off your antivirus software before opening the company file.
Method 9: Re-install your QuickBooks Application
Users should execute a reinstallation of QuickBooks before deleting the accounting programmer from the PC in the worst-case situation, if the solutions mentioned above fail to resolve Error 6123.
The simple procedures are as follows:
- The Control panel can be accessed by clicking the Windows start button
- The Control panel tab allows you to uninstall the current version of QuickBooks
- Use the QuickBooks installation CD to install the version of QuickBooks you want to use on your computer
- Try to install your QuickBooks in default mode
- Thereafter, enter the product ID and license number
- QuickBooks will be registered and activated for use after the login information is entered
- The company file should finally be opened.
Method 10: Moving Company File to a Different Location
Accessing the corporate file from a different location is one inconsistent, yet efficient, strategy for fixing the mistake. To do this, copy the file from its original position and then paste it to another one (say Desktop). You should be helped by the instructions provided below.
- Go to the folder where the company files are located in the beginning
- You can either manually navigate to the QuickBooks folder on the C drive and search for the company file folder there or use the File Explorer to accomplish this
- Additionally, you should right-click the Company file and choose to copy it
- Make sure you copy the correct organization’s file with the extension .QBW
- Copy the file to the desktop, then use the right-click menu to select New from the drop-down menu and Folder from the menu that appears
- Click the option to Paste the file there after opening the New folder
- You must eventually launch the QuickBooks application and access the company file from the new location.
Method 11: Restoring the Company File
- The Backup file is intended to be transferred to the local hard drive
- Avoid opening them from an online storage folder as well as removing the drive
- Execute the necessary actions to restore the company file from the backup.
Step: Try to configure multi-user setup manually
If you use QuickBooks’ multi-user feature, you can customize its settings by following the instructions indicated below:-
Step: Rename the .ND and .TLG files
The Network and transaction log files need to be renamed in order to resolve QuickBooks Error 6123.
Visit here: QuickBooks Network Connection Error
These are the instructions:-
- In the beginning, open the folder containing the company file
- Choose the company file’s .ND file from that folder
- The next step is to perform a right-click on the .ND file and select the Rename option
- The file name should conclude with .old
- The same procedure must then be repeated for .TLG files
- Launch QuickBooks to access the desktop company file
- Use the database server management to perform another scan of the company file
- And then terminate the database server process.
For Windows 10 & 8
Following are the procedures to stop the database process in Windows 8 and 10:-
- After pressing the Windows key, type the “Task Manager” into the search box
- Click More details after selecting Task Manager
- When you’re finished, choose the Details tab
- Find QBDBMgrN.exe and perform a right-click on it as well
- After that, click on the “End Task” option
- Until all instances of QBDBMgrN.exe have been terminated, repeat the same steps
- In the end, close the Task Manager.
For Windows 7
The steps listed below describe how to stop the database process in Windows 7’s task manager:-
- If you are using Windows 7, you’re suggested to press the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys
- Choose the option to launch the Task Manager
- From the Processes tab, select the Image name column heading
- Select the “End task” by right-clicking the QBDBMgrN.exe file
- To stop every instance of QBDBMgrN.exe, repeat the procedures
- Finally, Close the Task Manager.
Restart the QuickBooks Services
- In this case, pressing Windows + R will launch the Run window
- Click the Enter tab after typing service. MSc
- To order the entries in the Services window alphabetically, select the Name column heading
- Choose the Start tab by performing a right-click on the Convenient service for QuickBooks desktop version:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2023 or QuickBooks Enterprise 23.0: QuickBooks DB33
- QuickBooks Desktop 2022 or QuickBooks Enterprise 22.0: QuickBooks DB32
- QuickBooks Desktop 2021 or QuickBooks Enterprise 21.0: QuickBooks DB31
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020 or QuickBooks Enterprise 20.0: QuickBooks DB30
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019 or QuickBooks Enterprise 19.0: QuickBooksDB29
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or QuickBooks Enterprise 18.0: QuickBooksDB28
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017 or QuickBooks desktop enterprise 17.0: QuickBooksDB27
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016 or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 16.0: QuickBooksDB26
- At last, close the services.
Re-scan the Company Files
- First, launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Next, you must Browse for the location of the QuickBooks company file in order to scan
- Close the QuickBooks database server management as well
- The company file must be opened as the last step.
Step: Setup Proper Folder Permissions
It should be remembered that the host system has the folder containing the QuickBooks desktop company file. Additionally, all users must receive Complete authority, including that of the database server manager user.
Step: Moving the Company File to a Different Location
You can move the file to a different location and open it from that location to determine if there is a problem with the file path.
Step: Verify the Firewall & Antivirus Ports
The firewall and antivirus software may occasionally prevent the program from accessing the company file. For QuickBooks Desktop, you can configure firewall and internet security settings before receiving additional prompts.
Step: Toggle Hosting Settings in QuickBooks
- Start by launching the company file
- Next, select File menu and then select Single-user mode from the menu
- Select Stop hosting multi-user access after selecting File >>> Utilities
- The next step is to choose File >>> Utilities >>> Select Host Multi-User Access
- At last, you must choose File and then Switch to multi-user mode.
Hopefully, the approaches outlined above should be sufficient to provide you with a thorough understanding of QuickBooks Error 6123 0. However, if you continue to have questions or are searching for a solution to a technical issue with your QuickBooks, you can get live chat assistance from the QuickBooks Customer Helpdesk.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Identify QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
The below are few signs help you to identify the error code 6123 0 hits your system:-
- The QuickBooks software isn’t functioning properly or responding to commands.
- The Windows operating system froze.
- It takes too long to input or issue commands using the keyboard or mouse.
- QuickBooks frequently crashes or hangs in between.
- Multiple crashes occur with the operating system.
What are the System Specifications Needed to Avoid QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
Your computer system must meet the requirements listed below in order to avoid QuickBooks Error 6123:-
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and later operating systems are required.
- The processing speed of the System must be at least 2.0 GHz.
- A minimum of 512 MB of RAM is required for the system.
- For efficient operation, a high-speed internet connection is needed.
- Internet Explorer (IE) must be installed on the Windows operating system in version 6.0 or higher.
- A 4xCD-ROM drive is a minimum need for the system.
How Do I Manually Resolve QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
The below are few troubleshooting which you can apply to manually resolve the error code 6123 0:-
- If any programs are open, restart your computer to close them all. It will also reload the OS and restore network connections in addition to doing the other things.
- Turn off multi-user hosting if the QuickBooks Desktop version you’re using is a single-user installation.