Intuit has a policy called QuickBooks Desktop Service Discontinuation Policy for upgrading your previous versions to a newer version. According to this policy, users must upgrade to the most recent version of QuickBooks in order to access all of its features. When services for earlier versions of QuickBooks Desktop are about to be discontinued, Intuit will let you know in advance (by mail, email, in-product notifications, and this page). In this write-up, we’re going to provide a complete details on QuickBooks Desktop Service Discontinuation Policy. Thus, make sure to read out this write-up thoroughly till the end.
Understanding of QuickBooks Desktop Service Discontinuation Policy
After May 31, 2023, the QuickBooks Desktop 2020 program will no longer provide you with access to QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Services, Live Support, Online Backup, Online Banking, and other services. Also, this implies that beginning on June 1, 2023, you won’t get important security updates. Install any security updates if you get them before this time.
What Happens When a Service is Discontinued?
QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2020 will no longer be able to access add-on services after May 31, 2023. The Enterprise Solutions v20 version of QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, and all previous versions are included in this.
The QuickBooks Desktop 2020 product will still function for you if you choose not to use any of the add-on services. No additional Intuit services that can be connected with QuickBooks Desktop, such as live technical assistance, will be available to you as a paid subscription. The most recent security updates and fixes will not be applied to discontinued versions.
Several other Intuit products are also impacted by the end of add-on services, in addition to QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2020.
Products Affected by Service Discontinuation after May 31, 2023
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2020 (General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Non-profit, Professional Services, and Retail)
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 20
- QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2020
- QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant 20
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2020
Products Affected by Service Discontinuation after October 3, 2023
QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 19.0
Move to QuickBooks Online
Your moving process should go as smoothly as possible, thus to ensure that we’ve provided the information you need to move to QuickBooks Online.
The ability to access your books from any location with an internet connection is one of the conveniences that QuickBooks Online offers.
Here’s How You Can Move your QuickBooks Desktop File to QuickBooks Online
Step 1: Get your Desktop File Ready
Important Note: You have 60 days from the time you register for QuickBooks Online to move your data.
- Make sure QuickBooks is up to date
- Press Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard to check that your total targets are less than 750,000
Note: The file cannot be converted to QuickBooks Online if it is larger than the desired limit (750,000). You only have two choices: import lists and balances into QuickBooks Online or start from scratch.
- Print out a copy of your sales tax liability report. After your relocation, you’ll need it to make adjustments
- Choose Vendors & Payables from the Reports menu
- Next, choose the “Sales Tax Liability” option
- Select All from the Dates drop-down menu
- Choose “Save as PDF” under the Print drop-down at the top
- After done with that, you’re supposed to name the file, select Save, and then select the folder where you want to save it
Step 2: Move your QuickBooks Desktop File to QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier
- To import a company file, log in as the administrator
- Choose Export Company File to QuickBooks Online under Company after going there
- Now, select the option “Start your export”
- Log in to your QuickBooks Online company as an administrator
- Pick the QuickBooks Online company that you wish to replace with your company file by selecting Choose online company
- After that, select the “Continue” option
- If you keep track of your inventory using QuickBooks Desktop,
- Click “Yes” to import them, then type the as of date
Note: Your inventory start date should be the first day after your most recent tax filing period
- If you want to add additional items to QuickBooks Online later, choose No
- Choose Replace after entering Agree in the text box
- Next click “Replace” after selecting “Yes, go ahead and replace the data
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
Note: Since some of your data won’t transfer to QuickBooks Online if you use advanced capabilities (such advanced reporting and advanced inventory), we advise starting over.
- To move the desktop company file, log in as the admin
- To display the Product Information window, press the Ctrl + 1 keys on your keyboard
- To open the export window, press the Ctrl + B + Q and then choose the “Ok” button
- Choose Get started from the export window
- After that, sign in your QuickBooks Online company as an administrator
- Select Select online company, then choose the QuickBooks Online company that your company file should replace
- Choose Continue
- If you use QuickBooks Desktop to track inventory:
- To bring them over, choose Yes, then enter the as of date
Note: Your inventory start date should be the first day after your most recent tax filing period.
- If you want to add additional items to QuickBooks Online later, choose “No”
- In the text area, type “Agree,” then click Replace
- Choose Replace, after you select the “Yes to replace the data” option.
Step 3: Get Ready to Use your QuickBooks Online
Well, you’re all set to use your QuickBooks Online with your company file.
2020 Services Affected by QuickBooks Desktop Service Discontinuation Policy
Change to QuickBooks Online to keep your access to the following add-on services and live support. as more details about the affected services and functionalities are made available.
- Payroll: After May 31, 2023, neither QuickBooks Desktop 2020 nor its payroll tax forms will automatically determine the appropriate payroll taxes to pay. Your subscription could be cancelled if your paychecks aren’t accurate.
- Basic, standard, or enhanced payroll: After May 31, 2023, neither QuickBooks Desktop 2020 nor its payroll tax forms will automatically determine the appropriate payroll taxes to pay. Your subscription could be cancelled if your paychecks aren’t accurate.
- Assisted payroll: QuickBooks Desktop 2020 won’t provide payroll taxes, accurately compute payroll taxes, or allow you to send your payroll data after May 31, 2023. your subscription being deactivated and no tax returns being filed on your behalf.
- QuickBooks Workforce, which was once known as ViewMyPaycheck, won’t be available to you or your employees. To access this function, you must have an active Payroll subscription and a supported version of QuickBooks.
- Worker’s comp payment service: QuickBooks Desktop 2020 is unable to process workers compensation payments. You must have a supported version of QuickBooks and a current Payroll subscription in order to use the payment feature.
Credit Card Processing
- Merchant Service Deposit (Reconciliation): After May 31, 2023, QuickBooks Desktop 2020 won’t download credit card and check information.
- Payment Processing: You will get a notice alerting you that the service is no longer available. Credit card and check transactions won’t be supported in QuickBooks Desktop 2020. The message will also contain instructions for conducting credit card and check transactions away from QuickBooks.
- EInvoice: You won’t be able to manage invoices with QuickBooks Desktop 2020 after May 31, 2023. (Emails of Invoices with enabled pay links). You must have an Active Payments Subscription and a Supported Version of QuickBooks in order to use this functionality.
- Regular Payments: The 2020 version of QuickBooks Desktop won’t download your recurring payments. These Transactions will continue to be active. You can manage recurring payments at MerchantCenter.intuit.com.
- Contributed Reports: The QuickBooks Desktop version does not offer this function.
- Multi-Currency/Exchange Rate: The feature in QuickBooks Desktop that lets you assign certain currency types to your profiles and accounts cannot be used or enabled.
- Accountant Copy Transfer Service: You cannot use this service to send accountant copies through QuickBooks Desktop.
- Online Banking: You won’t be able to send transfers, payments, or download transactions online. The exact error message will determine your download strategy.
- Intuit Data Protect: Your files and folders cannot be backed up.
- QuickBooks Time: The use of QuickBooks Time will not be supported by QuickBooks 2020. To sync your QuickBooks Time Data with QuickBooks, either switch to QuickBooks Online or use a web connector.
Well, we have gathered all the information for QuickBooks Desktop Service Discontinuation Policy in this write-up. But, if you have any questions or issues, get in touch with our tech experts through our QuickBooks Helpdesk Team. Our committed QuickBooks experts will make sure to assist you in learning more about the QuickBooks Desktop Service Discontinuation Policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do Intuit Discontinue Products or Services?
Intuit commit to create simple, user-friendly financial products that will assist you today and evolve with you future. Making QuickBooks more user-friendly and better while still supporting older versions is a delicate balancing act.
What About Downloads and Registration for Outdated, Unsupported Products?
If the data is accessible, Intuit make every attempt to offer customer support for the licencing and registration of earlier versions of QuickBooks Desktop under Intuit’s regular terms and conditions. Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee that we will be able to register previous versions of QuickBooks, give key codes, or support data and password recovery. For QuickBooks Desktop, we are unable to offer replacement CDs, discs, or manuals. QuickBooks Desktop 2020 download files are available on our website.
Why Can’t I install QuickBooks Desktop from a Subscription that Isn’t Active?
Installing your version of QuickBooks requires a current subscription. Check your Customer Account Management Portal first to see the status of your subscription.